Medefer is an innovative CQC registered virtual healthcare provider that aims to transform the way that healthcare is delivered by enabling healthcare systems to provide patients with the best healthcare experience - timely, efficient, and effective.
Founded by Consultants and GPs working in the NHS, our culture is driven by a deeply held commitment to the NHS and delivering transformational change to the patient experience. We are a passionate, dedicated and patient-focused team striving to make healthcare fit for the 21st century. Our vision is to completely re-frame the way that healthcare is delivered.
Unlike other virtual healthcare solutions, Medefer’s Virtual Outpatient Service enables the best possible care through the entire patient pathway from referral to discharge. Our unique software platform can effectively handle the majority of patients from referral through triage to investigation, diagnosis and discharge, without the need for physical outpatient appointments.
Following a successful funding round Medefer is enjoying a period of rapid growth as it responds to the challenges facing the NHS.
Job description – Senior Service Manager £65k-£70k
We are looking for an effective & innovative leader to join our operations team & lead a team of service managers across a defined NHS client base. As Senior Service Manager you will be accountable for the operational performance of your clients comprising of a range of specialties. This will include accountability for the delivery of high quality patient care, clinical governance, patient safety, clinical quality, & delivery of performance targets.You will have joint responsibility with the other Senior Service Manager & members of the Operations management team for driving forward company wide programmes of work & & service direction linked to performance and financial efficiency.
- You will provide senior managerial leadership for operational performance for a regional client base, delivering a range of outcomes, to ensure that care is delivered in a safe and effective way and that all performance targets are met within specified resources.
- You will have a full and deep understanding of both national and local policies relating to RTT management – and therefore to function as a company-wide expert in these areas .
- You will be aware of current and future NHSEI strategy and development in relation to outpatient services using this knowledge to identify opportunities for service growth and development.
- You will provide effective and innovative leadership ensuring clear direction concerning service improvement and effective utilisation of resources, leading, and managing the assessment of complex operational issues and challenges that face the service. This will demand high levels of judgement, analysis, and interaction to agree clear solutions and recommendations that you will be responsible for implementing.
- You will ensure that our clients’ experiences of the Medefer pathway is the best it can be, that service level agreements and individual key performance indicators are set and delivered and that we learn from feedback and continuously improve how we operate.
- You will need to have an excellent understanding of patient pathways across multiple clients and specialties, and will lead the service managers to ensure that complex pathways are monitored and recorded accurately and ensure that client-based systems and processes are in place for monitoring and reporting of waiting times.
- You will be responsible for the operational systems and processes for the region, monitoring, and reporting RTT. You will be able to provide information and assurance to Medefer senior team and clients regarding waiting times and RTT performance, identifying areas of risk and ensuring mitigations are in place where required.
- You will maintain regional operational focus on and commitment to all performance, patient safety and quality targets at all times.
- You will lead on the development and production of performance and quality monitoring reports to be presented at internal and external boards, committees, and contract monitoring meetings.
- You will lead and encourage redesign of services, and embed new ways of working which support patient care aims, working in conjunction with the implementation team to operationalise new services/clients.
- You will be responsible for maintaining and developing strong systems for patient safety and quality including incident reporting, risk assessment with a focus on lessons learnt, both internally and with client, ensuring timely management of complaints and concerns, effective follow through on action plans.
- You will support the Service Delivery Associate Director and Associate Director to embed a culture of effective risk management across the business using corporate/operational risk registers and training staff to use these processes, ensuring that staff, at all levels, understand the importance of maintaining risk registers and using them as a tool for enabling proactive and effective service delivery.
- You will ensure that investigations, related written material and follow through of learning are all to a consistently high quality and will expedite decision-making on matters relating to the patient and staff experience, escalating serious issues as appropriate.
- You will support business in ensuring that lessons are learned from incidents, claims and complaints, from across the business, to ensure that this learning is translated into improvements in practice and patient care via action plans and in identifying key themes, trends and areas for development arising from incidents and complaints.
- You will lead, manage, and motivate staff, ensuring that appropriate management structures, policies and practices are in place to achieve high levels of performance.
- You will facilitate regular communications with all members of the team to ensure all staff are aware of service issues and priorities so that they have the opportunity to input ideas and suggestions.
- You will collaborate closely with the Patient Care Team Manager to achieve improvements in the quality and efficiency of patient services, supporting the Patient Care Team to effectively manage queries relating to your services, allocating tasks along with the Patient Care Manager to ensure sufficient coverage .
- You will maintain active involvement in planning, marketing of services and work alongside the implementation team with new clients to support efficient, safe, and timely mobilisation.
- You will establish and maintain an effective communications strategy with all key stakeholders, developing and building excellent working relationships between Medefer and its clients. Communicate with internal and external stakeholders regarding the progress of patients and the status of different elements of the outpatient service.
- You will be a confident communicator with the ability to present complex information to large groups of staff and will be able to lead Directorate meetings.
- You will create, maintain, and deliver Service-specific training and documentation.
- You will actively promote and demonstrate a positive organisational culture which supports and develops staff and protects patients.
- Educated to or working towards master’s level or equivalent experience.
- Substantial acute hospital experience with experience in day-to-day acute operational management.
- Understanding of Governance, Risk Management, NHS Complaints process and the NHS quality agenda.
- Experience of investigating and responding to incidents and /or complaints.
- In depth work experience in RTT and demonstrable expertise in this area.
- Awareness of current and future NHSEI strategy and development in relation to outpatient services.
- Leading on capacity and demand planning.
- Able to analyse complex information to support decision making.
- Knowledge and awareness of national targets and the NHS Plan, National Service Frameworks, Clinical Governance, Performance Improvement approaches.
- Experience of building and/or managing a service-delivery team.
- Ability to write effective business cases to enable decision making.
- Desire to take ownership of the operational relationships with one or more client Services.
- Ability to deliver a consistent, responsive, and five-star stakeholder experience and be confident working with senior stakeholders.
- An ability to manage complex issues through a range of approaches to communication.
- Ability to lead multi-professional meetings, to present complex quantitative and qualitative data in a simple message.
- Be just as comfortable doing the work as well as managing people doing the work.
- Ability to problem-solve varied and unstructured challenges, proactively seek out answers and solutions.
- Be self-motivated and driven to improve how things work and able to work autonomously.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, varied, and changing environment.
- Strong prioritisation skills with the ability to manage competing demands and deadlines effectively.
- Work seamlessly with a wide variety of people from diverse cultures and all walks of life.
- Be a champion of Medefer’s values in everything you do.
- Impeccable written and spoken English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – assertive but fair.
- Excellent Microsoft Office and general IT skills.
- A love of healthcare and genuine interest in technology.
- Calm under pressure, working with humour and confidence.
- 28 days annual leave plus the normal bank holidays.
- Private Medical Insurance after probation.
- A supportive, collaborative & inclusive culture, where you will have the opportunity to work alongside a team of intelligent, driven & compassionate people who care deeply about transforming the way healthcare is delivered.
- Exciting opportunities for career progression.
Offers of employment are subject to a satisfactory DBS & references check